Monday 1 February 2016

My Athletic Background



Unfortunately I relate a lot to Danielle Prince (an Australian rhythmic gymnast) with the fact that I started rhythmic gymnastics extremely late.

Like Danielle Prince, I had a background in dance before starting RG. I started dance when I was only three years old in 2006 and did a weekly jazz class for that whole year.

Then I didn't do dance for the next six years.

I tend to exaggerate my dance background by saying that I've done dance since I was three (while I technically haven't).

Five years later when I was eight I did martial arts for a third of the year before abruptly showing no interest in it anymore.

The next year however, I started doing dance again (still a weekly jazz class) at the age of nine.

The year after that at the age of ten, I did my weekly jazz class with a weekly hip hop class. I only did the hip hop class for three quarters of the year but still got the trophy at the end of the year for participation in grading.

2014 was an even better year for dance when I got into an invitation-only cabaret class (while also still doing my weekly jazz class).

The next year, I had gotten into a competitive jazz class after successfully auditioning the year before (but I only did that class for half the year and didn't do any competitions). I was also still doing the cabaret class and jazz class.

However in September, I realised that subconsciously I had wanted to do rhythmic gymnastics for a couple years now (I just had no idea what it was). So I abruptly quit dance and started a rhythmic gymnastics class.

A rhythmic gymnastics class with kids that are mostly between the ages of eight and ten. Which is a little embarrassing for a thirteen year old to be put in, but I still haven't gotten the hang of apparatuses yet.

And I couldn't even do a cartwheel. Which was also a little embarrassing because there was a nine year old girl who could do an aerial cartwheel.

- Colour Fluff

No comments:

Post a Comment